When you are first getting started in Clash of Clans, there are so many things to upgrade, it can be overwhelming. Things don’t get any easier when you hit Town Hall level 3 and unlock the Laboratory, which makes it possible to upgrade troops. Whether by intent, or just by chance, SuperCell has made it very complicated to determine exactly which troops to upgrade and when. In this series we’ll take a look at units and some of their match ups, to try and provide guidance on when and what to upgrade.
I decided to start this series with Wall Breakers, because to me they are one of the most essential units for raiding at almost all levels – and their match ups are very straight forward. In the charts below, I’ve analyzed training cost and housing space to break one wall. In most raids you’ll need to break at least one wall to be effective, and you may need to break two or even three depending on the layout, so factor that in accordingly.
First let’s take a look at training cost. The chart below shows the elixir cost to break one wall at each level of wall upgrade, using the different upgrade levels of Wall Breakers.
- Level 5 WB does not start to pay off till Level 8 walls
- Level 4 WB is most cost effective against Level 6 and 7 walls
- For level 5 walls and below things are more complicated, but those walls are also pretty flimsy.
Next, let’s look at the housing space. The chart below shows how much housing space you will need to reserve to break one wall at each level of wall upgrade, using the different upgrade levels of Wall Breakers.
- Level 1 and 2 WBs start to really cut into your housing space when pitted against level 5 and above walls.
- Level 4 WBs are at parity with Level 5 WBs for level 6 and 7 walls but fall off rapidly past that.
- Level 5 WBs are of course the most efficient all around, but really start to show their advantage at level 8 walls and above.
Based on the above, I come up with the recipe below. Feel free to look into the charts yourself, this recipe is just based on my interpretation:
- Below Wall Level 5 – Use Wall Breakers Level 1
- Wall Level 5 – Upgrade to Wall Breakers Level 3
- Wall Levels 6/7 – Upgrade to Wall Breakers Level 4
- Wall Level 8 – Upgrade to Wall Breakers Level 5