While a guide in its own right, this is actually part two of our Candy Crush Saga Special Candies Guide. Hit “Prev” to view the first page if you missed it.
Candy Crush Saga Special Candy Combinations
Each special candy can be matched with another special candy to create a different, and usually better effect. There are a bunch of special candy combos associated with candy boosters, which I won’t get into, because I figure most people won’t want to pay money to try them out. So, for the “common” special candy combos, below I’ve explained what each does, and how it is best used.
Striped Candy + Striped Candy
Striped + striped is a workhorse combo that you should get used to using frequently. When you make this match, it creates a “plus sign” effect which clears the row and column from the site of the match. Note that this effect occurs, regardless of the direction of the stripes on the matched candies. This can be helpful if the stripes on your candies are the wrong direction. It can also be very helpful for positioning, and since it only takes two candies to create the special combo, it will save you the time and turns of moving other candies close enough to match with your striped candy.
- Use Striped + Striped in positions where you want to use a regular striped, but your striped candies are not in the direction you want, or you don’t have enough other candies to make a match.
- Use Striped + Striped in an area with a lot of jelly or chocolate that you want to clear out.
Striped Candy + Wrapped Candy
As I previously alluded, this is one of the best special candy combos. When you form this combo, there is a similar “plus sign” effect as with striped + striped, except that in each direction the clearing explosion is three candies wide!!! This clears a wide swath of the board, and can sometimes be a single move win. It has many applications, including:
- Use anywhere that you would use Striped + Striped, but with a greater effect.
- For completely clearing an area of jelly or chocolate.
- Doing significant damage, or wiping out targets that are outside the “matchable area”.
- Completely clearing the path of, or significantly advancing ingredients.
Striped Candy + Color Bomb
One of the reasons striped + wrapped nudges into the best spot for special candy combos, is that it is much easier to create. Striped + color bomb is often more powerful, but since color bombs can’t be moved directly without causing a match with another candy, it is a lot hard to make this special candy combo happen. If you do succeed in creating it, the color bomb will explode and make all candies that are the color of the striped candy change into striped candies with stripes of random directions. They will then all explode in random order, creating multiple column and row bursts. It is sometimes beneficial to try a few random matches to get a few more candies of the target color on the screen, because if there are enough striped candies created in this way, it can clear the entire board. Needless to say, this can often lead to a single move win. A few things to consider with this combo.
- When you have a striped + color bomb combo ready, check how many other candies you have that are the same color as the striped candy. If there are only a few, and you can spare the moves, try to clear some other candies to get a few more on the screen. Be very careful not to mess up your striped + color bomb combo though.
- This combo is a good “hail mary pass” when you are out of other options. As you get better at sizing up your odds of winning, start looking for this combo when you reach the point that it is the only chance at winning.
Wrapped Candy + Wrapped Candy
I don’t know why I finded the wrapped + wrapped combo so underwhelming, but I do. I feel that it is perhaps even harder to get than Wrapped + Color Bomb, and its applications are narrow. If you are so inclined to make a wrapped + wrapped combo, you’ll be rewarded with a massive explosion which projects out in a two candy square box from each of the two wrapped candies. The candies will then drop down through the cleared candies and explode again in typical wrapped candy fashion. This combo is mediocre to good in a few scenarios:
- The wrapped candy + wrapped candy combo generates a lot of points and can make a big difference on points levels, or on another level where you can meet the objective but are having trouble with the point total.
- Wrapped + wrapped can be pretty good at clearing out a tight cluster of jellies, licorice, chocalate, or just regular candies. This makes it useful in some of the same circumstances as striped + wrapped, but I feel the lack of the row/column projections make it much less useful in general.
Wrapped Candy + Color Bomb
Perhaps the absolute least exciting special candy combo is wrapped + color bomb. This combo has the effect of basically two stand alone color bombs, except that the second is for a random color not of your choosing. As you read above, I think the color bomb by itself is often not so great. Adding in a second color bomb that you don’t get to control, doesn’t add much – especially considering how hard it is to form this combo. This combo can be used for any time you need to non-specifically wipe out some candy. If you already wanted to use the color bomb on the color that the wrapped candy happens to be go for it. Otherwise, I’d consider using them separately and saving the color bomb for the color of your choice.
Color Bomb + Color Bomb
As I mentioned above, this combo is extremely hard to get, and a rare treat you should capitalize on any chance you get. When the two color bombs are matched, a chain reaction sets off that destroys all candies on the screen. Because of the sometimes sadistic rules of Candy Crush Saga, this doesn’t result in a win as often as I feel it should, but it is still something that is downright fun (if you like crushing candies). There isn’t much to be said in terms of strategy. If you get this pair, just match them.
What separates Candy Crush Saga from other match-3 games is the special candies. Learning how to create and effectively use each special candy will be essential to defeating some of the tougher levels. It is a lot to learn all at once, so keep this guide bookmarked and refer back to it whenever you have questions. With enough crushing, you’ll have it memorized before you know it.